Common Signs That It’s Time Your Roof Needs to Be ReplacedSep 09, 2020
Schedule a Free Estimate
There are some common signs that indicate it is time for a roof replacement. Properly identifying these signs will not only help you decide that it is time to call a roofing company, but can also highlight the urgency in which your roof should be replaced.
Common signs to consider include:
- Curled, cracked, or buckling shingles — This often indicates that moisture is accumulating in your attic and is trapped under the shingles. Moisture build up forces nails to push upwards, exposing your shingles to further damage and compromising the integrity of your roof.
- Moisture and mold — When your attic is not properly ventilated, moist and warm air can develop, which will rust nails over time, and eventually lead to mold growth. This is a common issue with older homes, as their roofing systems are often over insulated, not allowing for your attic to properly breathe. Mold and mildew are major health concerns, and if you are experiencing any of these issues, replacing your roof should be a priority.
- Tar streaking or algae growth — Bacteria growth can often lead to these problems. If your roof is not constructed with high-quality shingles, and instead, contains fillers, such as limestone, this will invite to bacteria eat away at your shingles. This process leads to black streaks around your roof, and makes your home more susceptible to the elements and further damage.
- Missing shingles — Replacing missing shingles is an immediate concern. If your roof is missing shingles, then it is automatically open to weather damage.
- Shingle granules — When shingles are worn and showing age, they tend to shed granules. A clear indication of this wear and tear is when course, black particles can be found in your gutters. If you are finding shingle granules, that is a sure sign that you are in need of a roof replacement.
- Leaks in the attic — Various factors can play a role in attic leaks. However, this isn’t an issue that should be overlooked. If you are experiencing leaks, have your roof inspected, as it could be a minor issue, or an indication of a deteriorating underlayment.
If you are noticing any of these issues, then it is almost certainly time to invest in a roof replacement. The roof serves as your home’s first line of defense against the elements. Therefore, the sooner you identify these issues and call a roofing company, the sooner you can have peace of mind that your roof will protect you and your family.